Ana’s Pulled Moose Sandwich
by Ana Taylor
This sweet and spicy rub, combined with the tanginess of the vinegar bath, produces a delightful mix of flavors. A long cook time on a low temperature will soften even the toughest cuts of game. We used it on a delicious moose most recently.
3 pound moose roast, cut into four roughly equal pieces
In a small bowl combine:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
In a medium bowl combine:
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
5 cloves minced garlic
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place rack in lower position.
2. Place moose in medium (5-quart) Dutch oven. Coat moose completely with spice rub.
3. Slowly add wet mix to the Dutch oven, taking care not to wash the rub off the moose.
4. Put the lid on the Dutch oven and bake for approximately 3 hours.
5. Pull the moose out of the Dutch oven and place onto a cutting board. Reserve pan juices.
6. Using two forks, separate moose into strands. Place pulled moose into a large bowl and add reserved pan juice to your desired level of moisture.
7. Serve on sandwich rolls or your preferred bread, garnish as desired.